Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Manly Men Feelings

Jess is starting to show just a little bit more. I don't know if I'm allowed to say that but she is. She's not popping like 9 months but she's certainly got a thicker trunk than when I met her, and it's all baby.

I have never been a guy to touch a pregnant woman's belly. I've never done it actually, I always felt weird when it was even possibly on offer. I don't want to man handle some poor other woman just because she happens to have a kid inside her. It's still her body, she doesn't become public property as soon as she gets another little one in her. Yet so many people treat them like they are, it's weird. They go commenting freely on the new proportions of belly and boobs, and discuss the eating habits and funny style of standing up from the seated position. It's open slather and that's pretty weak, when you think about it.

So I've gone from a life without touching big bellies to one where now I cannot get enough of it. Each day I can feel the further space that the baby occupies, like watching tectonic plates slowly grind and shift over time. It's awesome. The stomach is so hard and large and I know that between that sheet of skin and muscle is another little life that I've created. A little person floating in fluid and feeling the noises I make around it and trying its best to see through the red-lit haze at what is around it. It's strange to get into the headspace of your unborn child, would probably make a good story one day...anyway.

I'm sort of glad I waited so long to go grabbing at the full belly. It made it all the more meaningful when I finally caved in and now I can't get enough.
*Other women need note, I still don't want to get all up in their torso, I will still only appreciate the pregnant form that I spend time creating. Others are of no interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment