Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ah, Remember Those Simpler Younger Days

There was a time when the intrusion of little baby Lindsay didn't have any real discernable impact on my wife. The baby was small and barely ate, never said a word, and we didn't even know it was there for the first few weeks (at least I certainly didn't, Jess with her powers of extra-sensory perception probably did). These were simple times, the salad days really, of doing whatever we wanted, but now that's all over.

I wasn't there in person when Jess got the first scan. I was probably at work bringing home the big bucks that teachers so often do...and when I got home Jess had a disc full of three different videos and four snap shots of our little one. It was a very amazing feeling to know that technology had come so far as to bring the scan home to me to enjoy in the privacy of my own home. It was also pretty amazing to see this first spark of life, so small, so fragile, so inhuman. It's a lump on the screen, attached to the inside of something within Jess, a lung perhaps, or her appendix, isn't that what it does? But it slowly beats away, and the little arrow moves to show me just where it is, in case I'm a bigger idiot than at first diagnoses. Either that or it's showing me where Dennis Quaid is in his little miniature rocket...either is cool.

So enjoy the first Zapruder style film of our child. There'll be plenty more to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment